Planning – Dimensioning – Execution – Maintenance – Retrofitting.
The 3rd completely revised and substantially expanded new edition of the handbook "Earthworks of Railways" was written by proven experts in both railway construction and geotechnics. This has made it possible to achieve a holistic view of the load-bearing system of superstructure-substructure-subsoil with its interrelationships and mutual dependencies under the effects of traffic loads.
The manual "Earthworks of Railways" takes into account the current version of the manual Ril 836 as of 2022.
The most important extensions and additions compared to the 2nd edition are as follows:
- the inclusion of the new chapters "BIM in railway construction under consideration of geotechnical problems", "Geosynthetics in railway construction" and "Crossings"
- the extension of the chapter "Retaining structures" with the inclusion of the new calculation example "Angular retaining wall"
- restructuring and extension of the chapter "Strengthening of track foundations and earthworks"
- the extension of the chapter "Maintenance" with in-depth contents on inspection, maintenance, repair and improvement
- current principles on climate and environmental protection and sustainability in railway construction
- a differentiated assessment of the load-bearing capacity and serviceability of existing earthworks
- examples of how existing railway lines can be upgraded for higher speeds and/or axle loads.
This handbook is a practice-oriented recommendation for action and a reference work for all colleagues involved in the construction, upgrading and maintenance of railway lines.
The included e-book provides users of a device with pdf-reader (PC, tablet, smartphone) the contents of the work also electronically and with search function.